Friday, September 6, 2013

Murder is not acceptable

Tonight a 14 year old girl lies in a hospital battling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning because her mother tried to kill her. And all over the place I see sympathy for this mother. Do you know why? Because her daughter, Issy, is Autistic. They are saying they feel empathy for her. Because her daughter was aggressive and hard to live with. They say it is because she was failed by the system. Some say they can understand why she did it. 

I can't. I can't understand at all.

Can you imagine how it feels to be an Autistic person reading these proclamations of sympathy and support for the mother who attempted to murder her child- a child who is much like they were as children? 

Can you imagine how my children would feel if I told them that there is a girl fighting for her life because her mother tried to kill her and that people feel sorry for the mother because her daughter is Autistic- like them? 

I won't tell them, though. My children live in a house where they are safe from this news. Where they are safe. They do not need to know about this. And I hope that by the time they are old enough that they will be exposed to the news without my filtering it, that the world will have changed to be a place where murder is unacceptable no matter what. 

Please, please, please do not stop to comment here if you want to justify, explain to me, or in any other way support the murder or harm of Autistic children by their parents or carers. Please don't. 

My heart is broken for Issy. She deserves better.


Here are some links to what some others are saying on this:







No comments:

Post a Comment

You can read my comment policy by clicking on the link at the top right of the page.